Tuesday, August 5, 2008

STORM

I love that name !, a comment was posted by a Storm , but not the storm I think of when I hear it used as a name of a person. I have to find that picture and figure out how to post it! It's ironic that this comes up the day after one of the biggest storms(in the summer) that many have seen in this area in many years. We bunkered down last night ourselves. Rachel and Claire were already in the basement when the power went out-luckily I can maneuver quickly in the dark. Of course Rachel is such an awesome big sister that when I reached them at the bottom of the stairs she was holding her sister in her arms and didn't just abandon her in the dark basement. The lightning did a great job of lighting our living room, but the sirens we heard did sound like tornado sirens and I've seen a tornado sky before so we quickly went to the basement ( luckily I have so many candles). It was quite cozy being stuck in our basement with our children and no power---- we went straight into "family fun night" which Rachel clearly pointed out "we haven't had one of these in awhile". We had some good laughs playing 20 questions. Rachel was adamant about sleeping in the basement, but Bob of course could not even attempt it. So he went up to go to bed and to brave the storm. To tell ya the truth I would have too, but it was much cooler in the basement without the ac upstairs. Well, sleeping was not an option while us three girls were piled on the single day bed. Claire is a very fidgety baby when trying to fall asleep--brought back memories of her being in the womb. Needless to say when the power came back on I was quick to get us all back into our own beds!

If it was up to me I would have power outages more often, I think it is good for all of us. [if it were up to me the tv would be in a corner some where and not in my living room all the time, but that is another story for another day] I always feel peaceful and get nostalgic for the old days when there was no electricity--not that I am old enough to have experience that and not that I would ever want to give up my luxuries but for a few hours in the summertime I actually enjoy it! Think about it the next time your power goes out--- it is so quiet - noises that we don't normally here are gone: like the fridge running. I also am a fan of candlelight although it is the number one cause of house fires so I do suffer some anxiety when I have candles burn---I wonder how they kept house fires to a minimum back in the old days when all they had was candlelight????
Oh and the other thing about power outages is I do prefer them in the summer even though it is cozy in the winter with no heat -the power outages are usually during severe storms where I fear freezing. I would rather loose a few things in the fridge than have any frostbitten family members.

I have always loved thunderstorms , but lately Mother Nature has been making me nervous with the unpredictability and severity of the storms . So I always worry about my loved ones during a storm. I wish I could just relax and just enjoy the thunder the way I used to. I have always told my kids its: natures music and I will never tire of hearing the sound of thunder.

One last mention of the name Storm, I think I once knew of a horse named Storm (probably in a book) and if I ever get to own a horse I would like to name it Storm. My sister's horse was named Raindance and my aunt once had a bull named Thunder (which is why I refused to eat Thanksgiving dinner one year -but that is another story for another day!) Hope y'all survived last night's storm!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I might be able to find a picture of Storm if you are intereted.