Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer fun....at school???

Yup , our family's summer fun started tonight and it was at Rachel's school. Our school doesn't start until after Labor Day but we had our first fundraiser: Movie night. The movie was free- right in the park at the school and the fundraising was done by selling concessions and raffles. Rachel even worked (volunteered) at the snow cone booth. I have always wanted to go to a movie in the park or some other type of outdoor movie ---I've even heard of movies at the swimming pool. I thought they sounded so cool especially since it is so hard to find a drive-in these days. The movie playing was ET which I thought would be really cool because we haven't seen it in such a long time. Turns out -not so cool---it was really hard to get into a movie when kids are running around screaming and playing ( mine too-Claire would not sit still- now we know not even to try a movie theatre with her yet). There was a lot of commotion by the concessions too! The night was fun but the movie I could have done without, it felt a bit like Ravinia which I love, but you don't have to concentrate there like I need to on a movie---good thing it was an old movie. The best part was watching the kids all running around having fun---the excitement to be able to still be playing in the park after dark was overwhelming. That was probably the highlight for most of the kids. Rachel got to see some friends. We were able to meet more of the school staff and mingle with other parents. I think we are gonna be real happy here. Claire loved the snow cones (her dinner!) and the glow sticks. While the movie was playing she was picking up the garbage and giving it to the people sitting around us. What a good little helper. Although one little boy was yelling "get away from us" or "ahhh she is attacking us. " Thankfully Jack (one of our nabors) was right next to us because he kept her entertained for awhile. Anyway hopefully all the school functions will be such fun. Plus ... this was the perfect way to start our family vacation----hot dogs , popcorn , cotton candy, snow cones , dilly bars, (I gained 10 pounds and we haven't even left town yet) glow sticks , tattoos, playground, music ,movie. The best part: a block walk and we get to sleep in our own beds. Hope the rest of our vacation is this much fun.

No comments: