Saturday, May 3, 2008

FEAR, it's scary!

It is amazing how fear can take over your mind, body and spirit. It may come as a surprise to many of you , but I do very well under pressure. So in the fight or flight theory I must be a fighter. Big things that happen I handle very well (little things are another story). So as I was home alone sitting in my den going over the bills ( yes, those are scary too!) I was overcome with fear when I saw Theo on the porch rooftop. What??? What was that ---I went running out in my pj's and couldn't see anything--- man coming down the street from the park says no cat up there. I'm not crazy so I ran to the guest room window that was indeed open with no screen and the man was yelling from outside trying to get my attention- Yup it 's there! Theo was on the rooftop and I couldn't reach him. I was bending over out the window when I realized ok I better not fall out! So I went to the middle higher window and opened it for Theo thinking it might be easier for him to jump straight up instead of at an angle. Well- he did it - jumped back to the window he came out and I was very relieved he did not fall. Ok immediate danger is gone (under pressure -fine) once pressure is relieved -----ahhh panic strikes, what could have happened. I do well until its over then I fall apart, ok we can't all be perfect. So I realized Bob is out with the girls without a cell phone(actually mine is in the van turned off and he does not know it.) Note to self: require Bob to have cell phone when he has my van! Ok that doesn't seem so smart under pressure wanting to call Bob--- but I just wanted him to see it to believe it and I wasn't thinking to take a picture when poor Theo was scared and on a rooftop.
Anyway when I went on the computer , I saw the story of my friend's son that went missing, for a few minutes. I can imagine her fear. It reminded me of the time I was a "lost" child and when I lost mine. I was maybe 6 or 7 when I lost sight of my Mom and my sister in a department store. It was only a few seconds probably but it seemed like forever an as the tears were welling , my Mom smiled at me and said "are you lost little girl?" Apparently she hadn't lost sight of me , thankfully, but I don't think I ever wandered away from my Mom after that.The time I lost Rachel was at Target and she was following behind or in front of me and I saw the isle she turned in and when I caught up to her isle she wasn't there. I looked around a bit and called her name before I panicked , but then I grabbed an employee and started searching frantically. I found her and everything was fine, but I realized a fear I had not experienced before. My policeman husband told me never to panic and if that should ever happen again to not look for her but immediately go to an exit to make sure she is not taken out by a stranger and have management cover all exits until she is found. I really trust Bob as an officer and he amazes me with his levelheadedness when it comes to those things. I guess that is why whenever anything bad happens I immediately want to call him. I can hold my own during an emergency , but afterwards I need him to reassure me.
FEAR , its scary! We just have to overcome it every time to survive. Drew survived , Theo survived and yes Bob survived when he arrived at home and I had to tell him all about my rescue mission.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You're better than me, I would have gotten my camera. ;) JK.
I'm glad Theo is safe.