is just acknowledging people and things we appreciate. I love Thanksgiving, but showing appreciation is what we should do everyday.
One of my inspiration books recommends a "gratitude" journal. I'm supposed to write 5 things I am grateful for everyday. I'm not very good at keeping up with my journal. That doesn't mean I don't think of all the wonderful things in my life each day. I do thank my lucky stars every day for my wonderful life.
Every year I try to think of something special to give thanks for at Thanksgiving dinner. It seems we always say our Family, friends, the food, our home ,lately the jobs we have! I think these are important, but I also think this is a given. I like to come up with something specific to acknowledge.
I had a good one, but guess what at Thanksgiving dinner , no one asked. It was not a traditional dinner that I am accustomed to and not one I'm particularly thankful for.....not to be rude. That's right I was not the rude one.
What is a holiday without some in-law drama?? Seriously, what is it like? I would love to experience it once.
I've learned to live with it and actually have found it to be quite comical, as to what is going to be said or done next. It's like a suspense thriller of real life.
I married not just my husband , but his family so being such a family person I torture myself by continuing to be drawn into the drama. I did try to laugh it off a little but Bob could detect my irritation. He really is the one who feeds the drama, I've learned over the years. Poor guy can't handle drama between women...if he wasn't involved we would probably just get over things quickly.
I've been telling mother-in-law stories for years ,just as I'm sure she has been telling daughter-in-law stories for years. So hopefully no one takes offense by me writing this. None of her"people" read my blog anyway and if you are one of her "people" now you will know there are two sides to every story.
- WARNING: if you think this topic is inappropriate or just rude do not continue reading
- Disclaimer: I am a nice person, I do think my in-laws are good people, I do appreciate them in my life and am "thankful" for many aspects of them---We are just very different people ,I just happen to connect with their son on the few similarities we have...like I said they are good people. They did something right for me to have been in love with Bob for so long.
Here is the Thanksgiving"story"
I barely get in the door and she is asking me (feels like drilling me) about an activity I am planning(that info will be disclosed at a later date because it is a surprise for someone). So she started this conversation about people attending my event and says she brought it up because she is making the plans for her sister's event that will have the same people. Why she brought it up ,I still don't understand, because she basically tells me about the announcement she is going to make,but refused to tell me the date when I asked.
me: Which day is it going to be
her:I'm making an announcement for everyone
me:You can't just tell me the date?
her:no, Natasha I'm making an announcement downstairs
me: I know , but since we are talking about it now, can't you just tell me which day?
her: No I'm telling everyone at once . I'm making an announcement
me:Fine, we won't be there(I know, I'm stupid, never said I wasn't guilty of participating in the drama....I just don't try to create it)
her:Why , how do you know you can't come , you don't even know what day it is
me: We'll be out of town
her: when?
me: when is the dinner?
her:I'll tell you(in her raised voice) when I make my announcement
me: Fine, that's fine(in my elevated voice) grrr there is no talking to that woman (under my breath as I walked down the stairs)
This is how the conversation would have went if it happened in my world:
me: which day is it going to be
her: Sunday
me: if it's later in the afternoon we probably can make it , we'll talk more later after your announcement. Need any help before I go downstairs? (of course she would say no to this)
Anyway it was just unpleasant and I got over it.....then the topic of Christmas came up....too much for one post , but if anyone wants to buy my parents plane tickets to come home for Christmas, I would be really THANKFUL!
BTW, the thing I was going to say if anyone asked what I was thankful for:
that my in laws quit smoking! I wouldn't have lasted in that house if it was filled with smoke and her hot air.

1 comment:
feel better? ;)
Post a Comment