Find my Family!
....Dancing with the Stars ended early, so I thought oh this will give us an extra 1/2 hr to have girl time and we can give Bob back his tv for football....NOT! I had no desire to watch this show and had seen the previews ,and not being a part of an adoptive family, didn't think I would get anything out of it, WRONG! Rachel begged me to watch it and I caved.
The two of us were sobbing within minutes as if we had lost a family member. We are soooo emotional. Along with the sobbing we were hysterically laughing, that is something that typically happens. Whenever watching anything sad my sister , mom , me and now Rachel start laughing when we find ourselves crying, I guess we are embarrassed by crying over something fake. Well this is a reality show so we can't say it is fake, but it is someone else's emotion not ours! I guess that means we are really compassionate people.
Rachel and I felt so bad for the mother who had to give away her daughter, but we also felt she did what was best for her daughter at the time. We felt it was a difficult situation and unbearably painful. (I found it to be a form of birth control and made sure to explain to my teen daughter how important it is to be prepared for children before having sex).
Adoption is a wonderful thing, when you think of all the people in the world who can't have children of their own, what a wonderful opportunity for them. This particular situation turned out pretty good, the girl was raised in a normal home and seemed to have a good life and the families were connected and seemed to get along.
I can't imagine every adoption turning out so well ,but I'm sure the show will only be broadcasting happy endings. Families are so different and everyone has its own set of problems , quirks, and ways about them. I mean there is some truth about not having to "like " your family but having to "love" them. We don't choose our family, we get what we get, and you become the person you are because of them.
Adopted children must suffer some troubling emotion : the sadness of being given up and the joy of being "wanted." I would think that in most cases it is all done out of love and I hope that the feeling of being loved is what every adopted child feels.
Can you imagine being reunited with a birth family and not getting along with them ? That would be the worst, but I could understand it. I don't think the show will have that side of any story. It's kind of like on Grey's Anatomy, Dr McSteamy's 18 yr old daughter shows up and she really doesn't seem to be a nice girl. A real uncomfortable situation.
So after watching the show Rachel asked if we needed to "find" a member of our family. No , none that I know of. I wondered how long the siblings knew they had a sister out there in the world ( the ones from the show).
Luckily being a woman I KNOW I don't have any children out there in the world (living with the unknown of where my child might be , would be difficult). Men ,like McSteamy, may never know. Can you imagine having some stranger show up and say they are your husband's kid? That would be hard too....I think Desperate Housewives had that same story line. I know of some real life stories like that and it is not always happy endings.
FAMILY is important to me and Rachel so we liked seeing the happy ending last night and I'm sure we will tune in to see more.
The Family Wrap up...
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment