Monday, November 30, 2009

Most Thankful Evening

The best part of going to my in-laws is seeing all the cousins together! They are really a nice group of kids and holidays is the only time they all seem to gather. Obviously my kids don't fit in with the age group, but it's still nice that they are all together and Claire even got to sit at the "kids" table. Her place was set next to me , but with some positive persuading she moved. I mean who wouldn't want to sit next to Kyle?

My favorite part of getting together with the in-laws is checking in on the nieces and nephews. I love hearing what is new with them. Turns out Kyle's new football coach has him working with recruitment:
Coach: How do you think we can get some really good football players to come here?

Kyle: Get some hot girls to come here!

Coach: I don't think we can create a scholarship for being hot!

The kids love Grandma's cooking.
We love getting a picture of all the kids in one picture , but Claire wouldn't cooperate, but Sydney did.

Claire couldn't handle everyone teasing her for not getting in the picture so she ran over crying and clung to Grandma's leg. That was the best moment of the evening because Grandma was just so overcome by that. She thinks Claire was confused and thought she had her Mommy's leg , but I'm not sure , I think she felt some comfort from Grandma.
No matter how I feel about my mother in law,sometimes she surprises me and is really sweet with the girls. She loves having them in her life (she wouldn't admit it) , she has books for Claire at her house and Claire insists she "do" her nails every time she goes there. I love it on those moments when she bonds with the girls. I hope the girls will always remember those times over the not so tactful moments they have been victim too.
I might go kicking and screaming , but I wouldn't want my kids growing up without family. I hated growing up without my cousins, aunts and uncles living so far away. So I'll do whatever I can to give my kids the happy memories with family, even if I have to suffer some unpleasant conversations along the way.

Family.....isn't that what the holidays are all about?

No comments: